It’s October and officially, the start of the rainy season. With rainy nights ahead of us, craving for a hot bowl of comforting soup is a given. For today, Instakart, an online supermarket in Davao, is sharing the infamous recipe for Ginisang Monggo. But before that, here are some interesting facts on this dish: Monggo or Mung bean is a seed of Vigna radiata, a plant native to India and Pakistan. Since the plant originated in Asia, it was easy to spread along the nearby countries. This seed became a hit when it reached the Philippines. Mung bean is used as an ingredient in different desserts and main dishes as well. The most famous Mung bean recipe is the Ginisang Monggo. This dish makes use of Mung beans as the main ingredient complimented by different flavors from meat, seafood, and vegetables. A very healthy and satisfying dish that is friendly on the budget.
Most of us love the indulgent taste of this dish because of its familiar and homey taste. This dish is a part of our childhood no doubt. Cooked by our Moms with utter love and care, each spoon was well worth the wait. Want one now? It’s actually very simple.
- The very first step of cooking Monggo beans is making sure you boil it first. Leave a cup or two in a boiling water and let it simmer for at least thirty to forty minutes or until the seeds start to soften. Get them out of the water and set aside.
- To make the dish tastier, use Pork Belly as a pair for the monggo. Separate the lean meat from the fat. For the fat meat, cook it separately. On a half a cup of boiling water infused with peppercorns and salt, soak the fat meat until the water dissipates and the oil from the fat comes out. Continuous flipping of the meat is a must on this one until it becomes golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic. Wait for the onion to become translucent and the garlic to slightly brown before you pour the lean meat on it. Wait for five minutes then pour in two cups of water in the pan. Don’t forget to add Knorr pork cubes on this part. This will surely elevate the flavors in the dish.
- When the meat is tender, pour the boiled monggo in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- After a few minutes, top it with the chicharon baboy you made. Stir for at least a minute and it's ready to be served!
As simple as that and a tasty, hot bowl of soup is ready for the family. Craving one but don’t have the ingredients? Instakart, a Davao online grocery and delivery has you covered! With our wide variety of choices in our Kitchen Essentials, you can now whip up your favorite dish in no time. Simply head on to our website, order what you need, and we’ll deliver it in no time. Known as one of the most trusted online stores in Davao, we have what you need, exactly when you need it. Happy shopping!